Thursday, May 26, 2005

Most (if not all) people who smoke are well aware of the hazards posed to them by smoking. Why, then, do they continue to do so? Is it just a lack of concern for their own health and well-being? I think it's more of a "you only live once, might as well enjoy it" attitude. In many ways I can empathize and even agree with this outlook. So long as you are not causing any discomfort to someone else.

What I therefore do not agree with is smoking in public areas. Smoke all you want, but do not blow your smoke into someone else's face. Thousands of fathers smoke in the vicinity of their children. While they may not really care about the fate of their own lungs, I think it's extremely selfish on their part to cause their young kids to inhale the smoke that they exhale.

My Dad smoked. In fact he still does. I don't mind it because he ensures that he doesn't smoke where any of us are around. So if he wants to light up, he'll go out into the balcony and do so.

For my own part, I have smoked only about 3-4 cigarettes in my life (enough to say I've smoked, but not enough to get hooked)! And one cigar (which I thought was so much better)! I don't plan to start smoking any time in the near future. While it is possible to be a social drinker, it's extremely difficult to be a social smoker. Thus someone who starts smoking has the tendency to smoke throughout the day, everyday. And I believe for this reason at least smoking is more dangerous a vice than drinking.

I have quite a few friends who smoke. It's always interesting to hear the reasons (excuses, if you may) for them not quitting.

"So I'll live five years less; but I'll enjoy it more!"

"I have enough faith in the progress of science and medicine to believe that by the time I am 50 there'll be a cure for lung cancer!"

"Those who don't smoke die of heart attack in any case"

All I have to say is they're your lungs buddies!


To end with a joke as usual - "Quitting smoking is so easy; I myself have quit a hundred times already!"

11 comments:

The TwoHeaded one n Trillian said...

Hey, man. Me bach in business. Check out, link up n plug me

Anonymous said...

k dood will do tht!!

Aditya Bidikar said...

I don't smoke, and my father's incessant smoking is a major reason for that. Even I've tried it, but I found no reason to do it again.

Anonymous said...

good for u, mate!! spread the non-smoking cheer!!

Varun said...

Ne 1 smoking arnd me puts me off like hell...

About "social smoking", i think there is nothin social about it! You have a few drinks during a party as it has been done for ages now! But with smoking tats not da case (unless u wanna start a new tradition :P) Usually "party" is jst an excuse 2 hve drinks! But u can control drinking, smoking is much tougher

$upergirl said...

hmmm....i think its got more to do with the guys (and gals too nowadays) trying to build up on the cool dude/babe image that gets then to do it the first time...and also probably their egos (!!) come into the picture...'how can i not smoke when my friends are !!' Get a life ppl !! :):) and yeah..even i've never quite understood the concept of social smoking...but one thing ive noticed is...most often, children of smoking parents prefer to steer clear of it..

Aditya Bidikar said...

I agree with Suparna.

Anonymous said...

varun - THT was exactly the point I was making... it's *not* possible to be a "social" smoker bcoz once u start it's something u do at all times...

Anonymous said...

suparna - three interesting points that you make

- ppl starting to smoke to impress those around them or due to peer pressure... tht's the case with quite a few of my frnds

- social smoking... it doesnt exist.. it cannot.. once u smoke, u smoke all the time..

- children of smokers tend to stay away from it... so far in my case it's true.. it's also true for quite a few others i know... but then there r some ppl i know who actually smoke along with their parents!!! one of my school mates would actually have his cigarettes supplied to him by his grandad!!

Anonymous said...

HERES ONE MORE OF THOSE REASONS
"I CANT TAKE A CRAP IF I DONT SMOKE "
-THAT ONE MIGHT JUST BE THE MOST LAME'ASS' EXCUSE FOR SMOKING THAT I (A NON SMOKER)HAVE EVER COME ACROSS.
I PRETTY MUCH DO NOT(AND MOST PROBABLY WILL NOT) GET THE WHOLE IDEOLOGY BEHIND SMOKING.

AS FOR ME I HAVENT YET TRIED IT (CAUSE I KNOW THAT IF I DO I MAY LIKE IT....AND SUFFER FROM THE CONSEQUENCES LATER ON)

Anonymous said...

seems to be like all my readers are staunch non-smokers!! anyone wanna argue the other side of the debate???

p.s liked the excuse, austin!