Friday, June 23, 2006

Watch What You Say

I've always thought that saying, "I'll eat my hat if you're right!" is much wiser than saying "I'll give you five bucks if you're right!" Because if you do turn out to be wrong, they can't make you eat your hat! They can, on the other hand, make you pay up those five dollars. But a hat just cannot be eaten. It's impossible.

When you say "I'll eat my hat", you really don't have much to lose. If you turn out to be right, you can look all smug and haughty; if you turn out to be wrong, all you have to do is make some silly joke about "hats", "eating" and "comedians" (because they always make good jokes). No one's going to snatch that hat off your head, sprinkle on some salt and pepper, add some mustard and then serve it up to you on a plate asking, "Would you like fries with that?" Most of time, you don't even wear a hat, so that makes it even safer.

Other phrases you might want to avoid are:

1. I'll eat my arm.
2. I'll jump off a cliff.
3. I'll sleep with a monkey.
4. I'll kill myself.

I don't worry much about such things, since I'm almost always right anyway. But just to be on the safe side, I'll stick with "I'll eat my hat!"

4 comments:

SwB said...

and I've heard lots of people - guys especially - say "main nanga nachunga" ...that could get you in trouble :)

PS: No rethink yet on the comment policy, i see. Oh well...

"A"ustin said...

i think knowing u ......u should add these to that list of yours
5.I'll actually study for my exams

6.I'll shave once a day

7.I'll put an actual picture of myself on my orkut profile

8.I'll change my "comment policy"

9. I'll learn to say "well...YOU could be write on this one "

10.I'll not act like an aribic when i pay a visit to the tandoori place
( i dont know if u really remember that )

"A"ustin said...

err....typo........i meant to say ...RIGHT

Lindsey said...

Absolutely right! I'll have to be careful which phrase I use from now on.