Saturday, October 01, 2005

Birthday Woes



I don't like birthdays. I mean, what's the point in celebrating them? It's not as if you don't age at all during the entire year and then on just one day you suddenly become a whole year older! So why all the extra fuss on your birthday? Is it just because you want at least one day in the year when you can feel special?

I hate telling people my birthday. When asked, I normally reply, "29th February." Of course, no one ever believes me when I say that and they ask me again.

I don't envy the people who are actually born on the 29th of February. I can just imagine -

Mr Cynic: So when's your birthday?
Mr Unfortunate: February 29th.
Mr Cynic: Get out of here!
Mr Unfortunate: No, I'm serious. I was born on the 29th of February 1980. It's a leap year.
Mr Cynic: Yeah. And I'm the Queen of England!


You know what else I don't get? The practice of treating your friends on your birthday!

Ok. Let's look at this objectively.

- It's my birthday.
- I'm a whole year closer to kicking the bucket.
- Another entire year has gone by in my life without me achieving anything.

Bottom line - if anybody needs some cheering up with a treat, it's ME!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The End of Zeptember
"Off Topic" posted this last night: I don't know a lot about "blogs" - but this is NOT a blog.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!

ravi rao said...

I bet u just watched the friends episode where Rachel becomes 30. Also i dont like the concept of treating at all.People ask for treats for the silliest of reasons. Bought a bike gimme a treat. Won a contest, when is the treat?. Whats next? Bought a new underwear gimme a treat. Guess what ,treat mongers suck. They are the scum of the earth and they are as irritating as hell

Rishi Agarwal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rishi Agarwal said...

see, Its like celebrating Valentines Day. I mean u dont need to declare your love or show special feelings for your loved one only on 14th Feb. But u still celebrate that day . WHY ?? Just coz it makes ur life look forward to something . It just shows that u r grateful to someone for making your special special .

In the same way , ppl. thank their parents for bringing them into this world. Maybe , on a bday , u celebrate and try to remember who all r really worthy in ur life to have a fun time with !!!

Kevin Jackson said...

Well, this is interesting. I did a blog search for barista and found your site. When I get some time I'll come back and find out where barista appears and how it relates - if it even does. Take care - nice work.

Anonymous said...

Thats really true about birthdays..

sometimes i really wonder how someone can celebrate the fact that they've lost one moe year of their precious life!!!

anyways..

that is that and nobody can help it.

but i must say..

you write the best blogs ive ever read...

though when i took a look at you pic, i couldnt believe it was you who wrote it..

doesnt matter.. despite everything..
Einstein was a scientist!!!


P.S No offence intended! just plain compliments my style!

AB said...

You know this is very true, who wants to get older, once you hit a certain age, noone takes you seriously anymore. It's kinda like childhood in revese. :) AB