Friday, August 04, 2006

Single Guys, Committed Girls

Careful observation of my surroundings, and online social networking portals like Orkut, has lead me to believe that there is a much larger percentage of girls in relationships than guys. Or at least that's what they'll have you believe. There seem to be way more girls on Orkut whose profiles display a "committed" status than guys, whose profiles typically show "single". One important reason for this, I suppose, is that girls [normally] wish to decrease the amount of unwanted attention they receive from unknown guys on such sites, while guys tend wish for the opposite. So I assume a fair number of these "committed" girls are actually single.

However, this doesn't explain everything. Looking around at my friends and the people I know, I still see disparity in the numbers. A larger percentage of committed girls than guys. How does this come about?

I studied for four years in an engineering college; a milieu where guys abound in plenty and the good-looking chick is rarer than a celibate rock star. Even a half-decent girl would have a bevy of village idiots drooling behind her, ever ready to get into a "pseudo" relationship with her.[1] Guys had to either own a Porsche or have a big snake with them to command a similar level of attention. In such an environment, it was only natural that most of my male colleagues were single and most of my female ones weren't.

However, even when I look beyond my college, and at guys and girls in general, there just seem to be more single guys than girls. What could the possible reasons be?

1. Unequal Sex Ratio:
Let's start with the obvious -- there are more guys than girls. This is, undoubtedly, true. The sex ratio in this country is skewed, and in this case, the majority -- the boys -- lose. But this cannot explain everything. The national sex ratio is about 950:1000 (girls:guys). I suppose in a city like Poona, it must be slightly more than that. In any case, that means there are only 5% more guys than girls. In other words for every 20 guy-girl relationship couples, we should have roughly 1 single guy left out. The situation is more acute than this.

2. Male Polygamy:
All men, let's face it, believe that monogamy is a very cruel rule. It wouldn't surprise me to know that the same guy is "committed" to 2-3 different females. Of course, it is exactly such sexual avarice on their part leaves other less gifted guys wallowing in the pitiful depth of singledom, where their only solace comes from that digited appendage at the end of their arm. But I doubt this troubles these "studs" too much.

3. Girls Lie:
Just as they fib about their relationship status online to avoid undesired proposals for "friendship" from the opposite sex, I feel sure some girls "claim" to be in a relationship in real life too, for similar reasons. Such girls state they are in a relationship with some vague guy whom no one has heard of -- often he's allegedly in another country at the time -- and no one ever gets to lay their eyes on. They then quickly steer the conversation away from their social lives.

What do you think the reasons for this gender disparity are?



[1] - "Pseudo" relationships are relationships where both the guy and the girl publicly claim to be "going around" with each other in order to improve their standing in the society which looks upon single people with scorn. The relationship, other than this, is non-existent.


[PS: In a bold step that draws much criticism from people against it, I shall be replying to comments once again from this post onward. Of course, the fact that readers have almost stopped commenting on (or is it reading?) this blog means that this change is slightly redundant. Nevertheless, I am proud to announce it.]

7 comments:

Siddhu said...

Lol! Good decision (to reply to comments, that is :P)

I have an explanation for knowing more single guys than girls.

Let's take a conservative hick-town that calls itself a metropolis. Er...hmmm...yeah, Chennai!

To cite from personal experience, out of 16 girls in my class, I knew the phone numbers of just 4. I had spoken to exactly 5 (the 5th girl being forced to speak to me, when she asked me if I could please give her the time). The others would have a hissy fit if guys spoke to them.

On the other hand, I spoke to 52 guys (all of them) in my class. So the number of single guys you know is likely to be much greater just because being a guy, you know more guys. :( (FUCKIN SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!)

Capiche?

FifthBeatle said...

Siddhu: Good point you make there. Even though my state of affairs was slightly better than what you described above, I'll concede I know more guys than girls. However, and I thought I made this clear in the post, I spoke about the "percentage" of single v/s committed guys and girls that I know. Unless you are trying to argue that I know so few girls that I can't take them as a sample. Again, I disagree with this.

"A"ustin said...

dude ...we all knew this day would come

FifthBeatle said...

"a" - you knew the day i would write a post on why there are more girls in relationships than guys would come? wow!

Preethi said...

Well... for that matter, it might also mean that the guys whose relationship status says 'Single' might have been bluffing too, right? :)

But u r right... these days, most good looking chicks are either taken or are lesbians.. :)

FifthBeatle said...

smiling girl - yes, i'll admit that some guys do bluff too.. this wasn't a very serious post... half a musing, at best..

Anonymous said...

1. Unequal Sex Ratio:
Let's start with the obvious -- there are more guys than girls. This is, undoubtedly, true. The sex ratio in this country is skewed, and in this case, the majority -- the boys -- lose. But this cannot explain everything. The national sex ratio is about 950:1000 (girls:guys). I suppose in a city like Poona, it must be slightly more than that. In any case, that means there are only 5% more guys than girls. In other words for every 20 guy-girl relationship couples, we should have roughly 1 single guy left out. The situation is more acute than this.

2. Male Polygamy:
All men, let's face it, believe that monogamy is a very cruel rule. It wouldn't surprise me to know that the same guy is "committed" to 2-3 different females. Of course, it is exactly such sexual avarice on their part leaves other less gifted guys wallowing in the pitiful depth of singledom, where their only solace comes from that digited appendage at the end of their arm. But I doubt this troubles these "studs" too much.

1) True. It's not only in your country but also in the US and other parts of the world, there's more guys than girls.

2) Females will have more partners than guys-Female polyandry.